What is SWAP IT?
SWAP IT is a free evidence-based healthy lunchbox program. The program supports parents and carers to SWAP what is packed in their child’s lunchbox from sometimes foods to everyday foods.
SWAP IT is:
- Free – no cost for schools to take part.
- Easy for Parents – visual inspiration to make lunchboxes faster and healthier with no extra cost.
- Easy for Schools – our resources complement the existing curriculum.
- Proven to work – SWAP IT enhances the nutritional quality of lunchbox foods, parents love it and teachers see tangible benefits in the classroom.
Benefits of SWAP IT
Developed by the Good for Kids team, a group of dietitians and researchers from the University of Newcastle and Hunter New England Local Health District. SWAP IT is an effective, low cost, evidence-based behavioural change program that improves children’s nutrition.
SWAP IT supports parents and carers to improve children’s eating habits by helping them to ‘swap out’ sometimes foods, like chips, biscuits and cakes, for everyday alternatives, like yoghurt, popcorn and fruit.
What's involved in the SWAP it program?
When your school registers for the free SWAP IT program, you’ll receive:
- Brief messages to your parent community to provide handy tips and ideas for packing an everyday lunchbox. The SWAP IT messages are delivered weekly for the first term (10 messages), followed by two messages per term on an ongoing basis. Messages are sent directly to your parent community via your schools preferred communication method.
- Free resources for parents to help identify foods that could be “swapped-out” while also providing practical easy ideas for healthier swaps.
- Unlimited online access to other fantastic SWAP IT resources including school lunchbox guidelines, classroom activities, curriculum resources, short staff training videos and more!
Best of all, we do most of the work for you!
Helping parents to SWAP IT
A healthy lunchbox is made up of everyday foods:
Whilst brands may be depicted in these images and videos, Good For Kids has no affiliation and do not endorse any speciﬁc food brand. Product availability and price were current as of April 2016. We do not warrant that the information we provide will meet individual health, nutritional or medical requirements, or individual school policy.